Thursday, June 21, 2012

Recognize A Good Man

HE SAYS:

I wrote this a long time ago, and when cleaning up files on my computer, I thought I'd share.  Hope you enjoy.


I’m your father, your brother, your lover, your friend.

I’m the one that changed your diapers. I was the guest of honor at your “tea parties.” I read to you until the Sandman called your name, and when he did, I laid you on my chest. You listened to my heart beat until you finally started to dream. I kissed your boo-boos when you got hurt, I gave you pow-pows when you were bad, and I hugged you every step of the way so that you knew I loved you. I’m a Man. I’m a Good Man. And it’s time for you to recognize.

I let you drive my car without me in it to other cities and states. I gave you my beaters and T-Shirts when you wanted to be a Tom Boy and your mother wouldn’t buy you any new clothes. I was the brotha you called when your man did you dirty, and I was the n!gga that would have handled it for you if you let me. I slept on my couch while you slept in my bed when you had nowhere to go. I bought you your first beer, wine, and liquor. I taught you the game. When I was younger, I warned you about dating men like me, and when you didn’t listen, I was there for you when you cried. I shared inside jokes with you. I let you tag along anywhere I went. I’m a Man. I’m a Good Man. And it’s time for you to recognize.

I always open the door for you; the door to the restaurant, the door to the house, the door to the car; and I don’t get mad when you fail the “Bronx Tale door test.” I run you a bath when I know you’ve had a hard day. I massage your entire body. I kiss you and tell you how much I love you for no reason, except that it’s true. I support your dreams. I am willing to change my life so that it matches what you want yours to be. I put you first. When you are sick, I take sick days just to take care of you; when those run out I take vacation. When they tell me to go back to work or else, I won’t move until you tell me it’s ok. I go down on you until my tongue goes numb. I make love to you with every inch of me. You excite me so much sometimes I can’t control it. I take you places I never thought about going just because you want to go, and I love having you on my arm. I mop the floor, change your oil, vacuum the carpet, and walk the dog. I let you shine the way God wanted you to. I spend time with you even when I can’t spend money. I always push you to be better. I tell you that you’re perfect just the way you are. I’m a Man. I’m a Good Man. And it’s time for you to recognize.

I remember when I sat and listened to you for hours in my car, crying because you thought you might not ever be able to do “this.” I was there for you when you thought “that” could never happen. I told you what I thought and kept my mouth shut, depending on what you needed at the time. When you thought you could never have children I was there to console you. When you got pregnant, I bought you groceries, I sat with you, and you said my voice was the only one that could calm you and your stomach down – and the baby wasn’t even mine. I partied with you on your birthday. I was so proud of you on your graduation that people thought I was the one that graduated. I kept in contact with you when I moved 600 miles away, and we spoke regularly. When I hadn’t seen or spoken to you in almost 10 years I still confided in you, and we picked up right where we left off. When you were in another country you found me, called and emailed me, and I celebrated. I meet your boyfriends because you wanted my seal of approval. We spent Christmas together when I couldn’t go see my parents. You bought me a “Boondocks” T-Shirt. I stopped you from making a huge mistake, and you kept dancing with me so I didn’t get into a fight at the club. I slept on your floor. You kept me up while we talked all night. I took you to the best strip club ever. I didn’t trip when you tried to date my boy and you knew I had a crush on you. I taught you how to play Spades, Tonk, and Spit. I consoled you when you wanted to move to Cuba to run away from your problems. I was there when you got pregnant. I was there when you had an abortion. I was there when you tried to get right with God and thought you had a VD. I celebrated with you when you finally went from a B-Cup to a C-Cup. I was happy for you when you finally got a booty. I’ve always been there and I always will, because I’m a Man. I’m a Good Man. And it’s time for you to recognize.

No, I’m far from perfect. I’ve let you down more times than I can even recall. For that I am sorry. When you called and I didn’t answer, when you came to me and I didn’t know what to say, when I didn’t have the answer to your problem, when even the sound of my voice upset you, I am sorry. I hope you forgive me. But when those time come again, and I’m sure they will, I hope you remember everything else I’ve done. As your father; as your brother; as your lover; as your friend, I love you, and I always will. Tell me about the good things I’ve done in your life, don’t just criticize me for the bad. Remind me without coercion so that I know my labor is not in vain. But know this: Whether you tell me or not, whether you reciprocate or not, whether you acknowledge or not, I will continue to be the best I can for you. Why? Because I’m a Man. I’m a Good Man. And I can only HOPE that you recognize.

Peace and Respect

1 comment:

  1. I like this, i hope the girl you wrote this about finally recognized. Sometimes its hard for us women to see a good man right in front us, we take for granted all the times he's there to help us with our BS. Its probably because we just see you as just a friend, possibly one of the girls.

    on another note "changed your diapers"? that one threw me for a loop. Please do tell....

    ReplyDelete